If you're an Android user, you may have encountered the floating keyboard feature on your device. While it can be useful in certain situations, it can also be quite annoying for many users. The floating keyboard takes up valuable screen real estate and can hinder your typing experience. In this article, we will guide you on how to get rid of the floating keyboard on your Android device and regain control over your screen space.
Understanding the Floating Keyboard
The floating keyboard is a feature on Android devices that allows the keyboard to be moved and resized anywhere on the screen. It can be convenient when you need to access content behind the keyboard or have limited screen space. However, for many users, it can become a hindrance and interfere with their typing experience.
Disabling the Floating Keyboard
To disable the floating keyboard on your Android device, follow these steps:
- Step 1: Open any app where the keyboard is active.
- Step 2: Tap and hold the comma (,) key or the settings gear icon on the keyboard.
- Step 3: From the pop-up menu, select the "Keyboard Settings" option.
- Step 4: In the keyboard settings, find and disable the "Floating Keyboard" or "Floating Mode" option.
- Step 5: Exit the settings, and the floating keyboard should now be disabled.
Switching Back to the Default Keyboard
If you prefer using the default keyboard on your Android device and want to switch back from a third-party keyboard, follow these steps:
- Step 1: Open the Settings app on your Android device.
- Step 2: Navigate to the "System" or "General Management" section, depending on your device.
- Step 3: Tap on "Language & input" or "On-screen keyboard."
- Step 4: Select "Virtual keyboard" or "Manage keyboards."
- Step 5: Find the keyboard you want to switch to and enable it by toggling the switch next to it.
- Step 6: Exit the settings, and the default keyboard will be restored.
Customizing the Keyboard Settings
Android provides various options to customize your keyboard settings according to your preferences. Here are some settings you can explore:
- Adjusting keyboard size and layout
- Changing the keyboard theme or color
- Enabling or disabling autocorrect and predictive text
- Adding or removing languages
- Configuring gesture typing or swipe input
Feel free to explore the keyboard settings on your Android device and personalize it to suit your needs.
Installing Third-Party Keyboards
Apart from the default keyboard, there are numerous third-party keyboards available on the Google Play Store. These keyboards offer additional features, themes, and customization options. Here are some popular third-party keyboards you can consider installing:
- Gboard by Google
- SwiftKey Keyboard
- Fleksy Keyboard
- Grammarly Keyboard
- Microsoft SwiftKey Keyboard
To install a third-party keyboard:
- Step 1: Open the Google Play Store on your Android device.
- Step 2: Search for the desired keyboard app using the search bar.
- Step 3: Select the app from the search results.
- Step 4: Tap on "Install" and follow the on-screen instructions.
- Step 5: Once the installation is complete, open the keyboard settings and enable the newly installed keyboard.
The floating keyboard on Android devices can be both useful and bothersome, depending on your preferences and needs. Thankfully, disabling the floating keyboard is a straightforward process, and you can easily switch back to the default keyboard or explore third-party options for a more personalized typing experience. Take control of your screen space and enjoy typing without distractions.
Q1: Can I enable the floating keyboard again if I change my mind? Yes, you can enable the floating keyboard again by following the same steps mentioned earlier. Simply go to the keyboard settings and enable the "Floating Keyboard" or "Floating Mode" option.
Q2: Will disabling the floating keyboard affect other keyboard features? Disabling the floating keyboard will not affect other keyboard features. It only disables the floating functionality while allowing you to use the keyboard normally.
Q3: Are third-party keyboards safe to use? Most popular third-party keyboards available on the Google Play Store are safe to use. However, it's always recommended to read user reviews, check ratings, and download keyboards from reputable developers to ensure your data privacy and security.
Q4: Can I customize the appearance of the default keyboard? Yes, you can customize the appearance of the default keyboard by exploring the keyboard settings on your Android device. You can change the theme, colors, and layout according to your preference.
Q5: Do I need to restart my device after disabling the floating keyboard? No, you don't need to restart your device after disabling the floating keyboard. The changes take effect immediately, and you can continue using your device as usual.